Friday, December 4, 2009

Snow Day...

It snowed here last night and a little bit this morning resulting in maybe 2 inches causing most schools to be cancelled. I have a hard time with "snow days" in Midland, TX. I know that Texas just isn't prepared for any sort of snow or ice but the words "snow day" have a whole different meaning for me. I grew up in Alaska. Lived there until I was 20, except for when I was away at college of course. Snow day to me means that you can't get out your front door because there is a 6 foot snow drift in the way, or that you can't even see the highway because the snow plows haven't plowed it yet, or there is no electricity because of a blizzard. In all my school years in the AK I honestly don't recall very many "snow days". I remember more delays than anything. If the roads have been plowed, then school is on!
However, I don't want all that I've said to take away from my excitement when I woke up this morning! If you know me at all you know that I don't like being cold but I love having snow in the winter, especially around Christmas! Surely you can understand why I don't feel like Christmas is the same if you don't have to go out and shovel snow off your roof before you open presents. Anyway, Joe wasn't that excited about the snow. I kept asking him if he wanted to go out and play in it but he just said, "No. It's too cold." Can't say that I blame him. I did get him out long enough to get a picture but he didn't want to put on a coat, gloves, hat or anything. No wonder he was cold! :)




0 comments: